This recipe is my newest pride and joy. I needed a cake to do a frosting tutorial on Instagram Live, and I didn’t have the motivation to make it from scratch.
So, I grabbed a Duncan Hines Devil’s Food Cake mix on my weekly grocery stop, and in true Mallory fashion…I spent way more time jazzing up the mix than I would have spent mixing my own flour and sugar.
Using heavy whipping cream and coffee instead of the suggested water, was able to make a sponge that was more dense. Coffee brings out the flavor in chocolate cake, don’t worry about it tasting like coffee.
The filling cuts the richness of the chocolate, and adds some tang. Goat cheese and honey are a classic mix, and the pistachios are just perfect. This is a Mediterranean twist on a classic favorite.
I hope you enjoy making this as much as I enjoyed creating it!
Mediterranean Chocolate Cake
- 1 Duncan Hines Devil’s Food Cake Mix
- 1/2 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1/3 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 Cup Coffee Room Temperature
- 3 Eggs
Goat Cheese Filling
- 1 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1/2 Cup Salted Pistachios ground, or finely chopped
- 1/4 Cup Goat Cheese
- 1/4 Cup Honey
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 4 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 Cup Salted Butter Room Temperature
- 3/4 Cup Sweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream (or 2 TBS milk)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Grease & Flour 2 8-inch round cake pans, Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix all cake ingredients together on medium until smooth. Cake mixture should be quite thick.
- Separate the batter evenly between the two cake pans, using a spatula to spread the mixture to the edges.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick can be inserted and come out clean. Cool cake completely.
- Using a food processor or coffee grinder, grind the pistachios. If you don’t have these, using the flat end of a knife, crush the pistachios. Your filling will be chunkier, but still delicious.
- In a stand mixer, whip goat cheese, honey, vanilla, and pistachios on high, until well combined.
- Add heavy whipping cream, and continue to whip on medium-high until the whipped cream stiffens up (about 1-2 minutes). VERY IMPORTANT: There are a lot of “wet,” high-fat ingredients in this mixture. If you over beat, it will break down and become a goopy mess.
- When finished, set filling aside.
- Whip butter for 2 minutes until very fluffy.
- Add cocoa powder 1/4 C at a time until smooth.
- Alternate adding powdered sugar and heavy whipping cream (or milk) until smooth.
- Mix in vanilla at the very end.
Putting Together the Cake
- After cake has cooled completely, cut each round in half. In between layers carefully spread the pistachio filling.
- Frost the outside with chocolate frosting, and garnish with pistachios.
- Keep Refrigerated.